Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Pipe connection without an O-ring or gasket? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

gandytable

Mechanical
Dec 13, 2001
US
I need specifications, instructions, a source, tooling, or any other help as how to make a metal-to-metal “hold in place” flared type or similar connection. I have seen it used, and can see basically how to make it, but would like more information as to how to do it correctly, without going through trial and error. A fabricated connection is preferred, but a solution using machined parts is acceptable.
Description - the mating surfaces I observed in use are similar to a 37 or 45 degree JIC/SAE type flared tube fitting, although the tubing has the male portion (tube is flared inward to accomplish this) and the manifold box has the female portion. Manifold was somehow punched to create the hole and the female flare. The mate is held in place by holding the flared manifold against the flared tube with spring or other type of easily removable hold in place force (No bolts or other more permanent type fastening).
The application is a washing system with a stationary 1.9” OD flared tube, with a wall thickness of .049, which has an easily removable rectangular shaped manifold mated to it. The manifold has a flared hole for the mate. It distributes the flow to 4 small tubes that each house spray nozzles. Manifold and small tubes are integral and easily removable from the stationary supply tube, to facilitate cleaning. Water flow rate is approximately 150 gpm and pressure is about 5 to 7 psi. A small amount of leakage is not a problem.
Any information on this type of connection, or another easily removable mating method, is appreciated.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back