Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Pipe cover 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cuyanausul

Mechanical
Aug 27, 2005
SV
We are finishing a geothermal pipe system and on top of the insulation we are covering with galvanized steel sheet, unfortunately we found out that they are stollen inmediately. Does any one have experience with a solution to stop steeling other than contracting guards over 10 kmts every 100 mts. Some times we welded the sheets when we used calcium silicate, but now we nare using rockwool, a material that would melt if over heated, any sugestions?
pictures at , (under construction)

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Same problem as in the Philippines, and any poor country. Whatever is not bolted down or welded, is immediately stolen. If these are permanent covers, say, not needing to access the pipes for a decade or more, could you apply the cover, coat with asphalt mastic, and encase the whole thing in concrete? Just a thought.

The thing is we are already covering the pipe, and all material was already bought, but your ideas sound right, I should investigate more on asphalt mastic... but won´t it melt?, I know there are lagging products like "eastasia" advised, though Foster did´nt answer yet.

At 26 gage, galvanized steel can be readily cut next to the welded seam, using a knife. The stiffness of the seam even makes it easier to cut neatly.

At 22 gage or 20 gage, it gets harder to cut with simple tools. Next time, if you are still limited to galvanized steel, buy that.

I thought about suggesting perforated metal (over foil) so it couldn't be used as roofing, but that would be useful for screening. Then I thought about perf with really big holes, or hardware cloth, or chicken wire, but the truth is that there's always a market for 'free' metal.

Except maybe titanium. They might leave it alone after trying to cut it.

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

Next time I want to suggest a better method, a lagging material I guess. I checked with Belzona, but their material is quite expensive;
Let´s see:

Fiber glass................. it breaks
Belzona......................expensive
Other polymers...............????
Titanium.....................$$$$$$
Foster.......................????????
Galvanized steel+lockseam....no back support
Galvanized+MIG...............melts Rock Wool?
Galvanized+(other welding process)? Brazing?
Electric fence?..............dangerous
Screws and rivets............used right now, no result.
Friction stir welding........???
Leaves+twine.................:)-)
10 meters long galvanized....hard to take home?

Good mind exersice

You might need to insert a strip of fiberglass or a loose metal strip or channel to keep the MIG heat from melting the rock wool. Or, the melting may be localized enough to ignore. Brazing heat cannot be as localized and will melt more rockwool.

Friction stir welding is an interesting process, but it involves rotation of a nonconsumable probe, sort of like an endmill with no teeth, and simultaneous exertion of huge side forces in order to produce friction. It's typically done on rigid thick slabs of metal in _very_ rigid machine tools. Not a field process.

Belzona and other liquid/ paste/ goo coverings have the sole advantage that they cannot be removed in a form that is of any use to anyone, includng poor villagers.

If they can cut the axial seam of a long sheet of galvanized, they can also cut it circumferentially to make it easier to transport. They might go to some effort to remove big pieces intact, so they need fewer seams in their shanty roofs.

I was serious about the leaves. Natives here in SoFla evolved dwellings roofed with palm fronds. They are surprisingly cool, durable and water resistant.

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

Fibreglass- Breaks??? You may try insulation wool encapsulate with Fibreglass fabric. If it's for external weather, you can consider 0.4mm fabric coated with silicone. In asia, you can get a decent quality for nothing more than USD9.00/m2. These covers can be pre-fabricated & all skills will be provided by the fabricators. The advantage is you require less or no skill workers to install on site.

As for comments about expensive, it all depends on the project budget and what you are looking for. If cost is the main concern then maybe quality might be compromise.

If I don't remember wrongly, in the west Foster mastic or coating product is produce by HB Fuller. I wonder if you got the right contact.

Mike:
Remember that although we have insulation the surface temperature is about 50° C and the leaves would become brittle very soon.
Eastasia: please send your mail, you can find mine at the beginning at that website.
There is another similar project starting now and for that it´s time to do something.
I got to HB Fuller site and they didn´t answear yet, I´´ll try again...
Let me do some research on insulation wood encapsilated with Fibre glass...

ok, time to look at this prob from another perspective.

The pipe carries hot water correct?? and passes by the villagers? not for there use?

If you could strike a deal with the locals both could win.

Have them agreee not to vandalise the pipe insulation, and you will let them have unrestricted hot water from a single or two small taps.... Would a few gallons an hour be a prob?

If they continue to remove the sheets, remove the taps. they may learn the second time around...

Ken

Hi Cuyanausul:

I am eastasia. I couldn't login as eastasia after my last posting. Had contacted the admin but no reply so far.

Anyway, you may sent me an e-mail at iheinsulation@yahoo.com & I will sent you my main from there.

I couldn't get to your website as upon clicking it does not hyperlink over.

cheers

The pipes carry hot water and steam, both are geothermal, not safe for humans to use. The client has help programs for villagers to get something in return, but the thieves are not satisfied. And also many people work at this projects, for example we had up to 700 workers at the top stage of the project.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back