Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Pipe Design - Length between Buttwelds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Metalmeister

Nuclear
Mar 4, 2008
US
Does anyone know of a Code reference or limit that specifies a minimum distance between pipe buttwelds such as 1.5D for example. I looked but can't find any such limit in B31.1 or ASME III. Maybe I missed it or it is covered in another piping code. Thanks and Merry Christmas/Happy Holidays to all.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

In B31.3 or ASME Sec VII D1, there is no code restriction that would restrict you from keeping two welds close or overlap. If you are worried about the quality of the joint, you could do a mock up test and go for 100% RT.

If you have an option, its generally considered to be 1 diameter, but its not written in stone.

"Pumping systems account for nearly 20% of the world’s energy used by electric motors and 25% to 50% of the total electrical energy usage in certain industrial facilities." - DOE statistic (Note: Make that 99.99% for pipeline companies)

The problem as I read it is with the closest of the heat effected zones of two welds and this giving a stress riser becuase of the local hardness change. This would only be a problem with the welds being in the order of wall thickness apart not pipe diameters.

What I have seen only seems to think it's a problem with high spec steels and carbon steel is not a problem. Pisses me off when inspectors do not allow close welds but can not back up why.

Kevin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back