Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PIPE Element with Plasticity and Buoyancy

Status
Not open for further replies.

mmartens

Mechanical
Jul 17, 2001
CA
I am currently using ANSYS for some pipe stress. I am trying to use PIPE elements but ended up going to SHELL elements because of the short comming of ANSYS PIPE elements. However, with SHELL elements our model is a monster. These are the problem that I am having:

(1) There is no way to turn off the end effects to model the pipe as a open-ended pipe element. The effect is zero on the real pipeline in the field but it is not negligible in the ANSYS model. And when we are doing a non-linear analysis the model does not converge to a solution with pressure and if we apply an end load/pressure we get large errors in the soluation. If we let it move freely on the ends we get unrealistic displacements. This leads to the second problem.

(2) If we go to a pipe element for buoyancy the same element does not allow for Plasticity and non-linear soluation and vice-vs-a. We would like to model a long section of buoyant pipe under 1 meter of water and when it reached the one meter limit the buoyant load is removed.

Just a shot in the dark does anyone know of a FEA package which might have a open-ended, buoyancy capable, non-linear elastic plastic pipe element. Just Asking???

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I suggest you to try Abaqus. I use it for pipeline analysis. There is special package Abaqus/Aqua for offshore analysis.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back