Pipe/fittings Longitudinal seam welds for hydrostatic test 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

arunkumarsubbaiah

Mechanical
Feb 4, 2013
SG
Hi !

I am working as contractor side QC Inspector (Piping) in a Project. Shell is our Client. During hydrotest we are advised to remove the preservation layer we made on pipe/fittings in order to witness the long seam (26”/30” sizes) welds.

As per ASTM A403 (Standard Specification for Wrought Austenitic SS Piping Fittings) 9.1 hydrotest is not required for fittings.

But our client argued that those fittings already installed as a part of process piping, so as per B31.3 all weld should be witnessed during hydrotest. Hence advised us to witness the long seam welding of pipe/fittings.

Pls advise on this.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

A403 is a standard for individual items: fittings. B31.3 is a Code for piping, i.e. assemblies of pipe, fittings, flanges etc.
It’s apples and bananas. You’re confusing the two

Huub
- You never get what you expect, you only get what you inspect.

It's definitely a bit unusual, but 31.3 is a bit vague here.

It does refer mainly to "joints" and "connections" being examined during a pressure test.

345.3.1 however says "all joints, welds... and bonds..." without definition as to which welds.
So it could be interpreted the way the QC inspector is saying, but I suspect this is either some strange custom and practice in that location or the inspector is not experienced and is thinking he or she is being clever and covering all the bases "just in case".

B31.3 doesn't like welded pipe as unless you radiograph the weld can be a factor of 0.8 on wall thickness calculation.

How much effort is involved here and is it disproportionate?

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back