Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

pipe flow problem-100m pipe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Numerous123

Chemical
Jul 2, 2012
Hi,
I am working on a pipe flow problem that requires the flow of a viscous fluid (approx 3000 cp), consisting of suspended shear-sensitive capsules, for over 100m. The volumetric flow rate for this is around 10m^3/hr. Currently a lobe pump is being used for this. Is this advisable? Wouldn't a diaphragm pump be better for such a viscous liquid?

Using the lobe pump, I have tried reducing the flow rate and reduce head losses on the system and the capsules are still shearing. Could you possibly suggest other things I could try to reduce the shear on the system? I cannot reduce the length of the pipe, increase the diameter or change the bead formulation.

Thanks
Numerous123

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The shear is caused by the rotating lobes of the pump. So, first you need a different pump. Yes, a diaphragm pump would be better as it does not cause significant shear. What is the pressure?

What is the % solids? What are the dimensions of the capsules? Is it important to not damage the capsules, or not? If it is, the close tolerances in the lobe pump are probably breaking them up/shearing them to pieces. Do a particle size analysis before and after the pump to find out, if it is important and you need to prove it. What diameter is the pipe? micalbrch has a good suggestion for a diaphragm pump. You should research pumps that do not break/damage what they pump. There are several special designs out there. Some pump fruits and vegetables in water.

Good luck,
Latexman

Dont know about the shear - but a progressive cavity pump can pump lard and almost anything that is vaguely a fluid. But it may damage you capsules. I dont know. Try speeking to SEEPEX or Mono. They are some of the top notches in that type of pumpes.

Best regards

Morten

Could you convert to a batch process where you load the capsules into a reservoir and then pressurize the surface, driving the beads down the line? Could you use a pig to drive the batch?

Maybe you could have two reservoirs-load one while the other is being emptied into the line. That could lower your cycle time.

As MortenA has mentioned, PC pumps are often used for shear-sensitive fluids. You'll have to consider the pressure required, and also the size of the capsules, but a 3 or 4" PC pump could likely do the job. They are used for pumping strawberries and other fragile items, so it is certainly something to consider. Allweiler is another reputable source.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back