Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Pipe joints

Status
Not open for further replies.

arun17

Mechanical
Apr 16, 2002
IN
Hi,
I want to create an object having a pipe and a flange attached to it. But the flange axis and pipe axis are at an angle. How ot create a mate for this.
Also I want to create a TEE joint, but inner surface of my pipe is having a particular contour. If I create a plane at outer surface of the pipe then it does not gets joint on fully. If I take a plane at ineer edge of the pipe, some of the contour is getting cut. How to resolve?
Third problem:
Whenever I create a section view I have to check "Flip the side to view" to see a proper section view. Is there any variable to control this.
Arun "Knowledge is power"

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Why not put the plane in the center of the two pipes and then use that as your angle mate. I built a lot of pipes at my last job and thats how I mated all mine. Of course its easier if you designed your pipes using the Origin as your center point.

SW requires users to think ahead in the design cycle. They call this "Design Intent".

As for your section view, no I don't think so.

Best Regards, Scott Baugh, CSWP [spin] [americanflag]
3DVision Technologies
credence69@REMOVEhotmail.com

*When in doubt always check the help*

You should also check the model library section within the subscriber section of the SWX website. I know they already have pipe and flange parts there. Perhaps everything you need is there and they are ready to mate the way you want.

- - -DennisD

I am assuming that the flange is permanantly attached to the pipe in real life. If so, why not bevel the end of the pipe at the proper angle and show the flange as a revolved boss attached to the end of the pipe. This eliminated the need for a mate. If you must have a mate, use the planes created to bevel the pipe. It would seem that the bevel is the key in either case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back