Pipe Material substitution 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

israeljrr

Mechanical
Nov 11, 2011
MX
Hello,

Someone knows if it´s possible replace ASTM A-106 Gr. B by API 5L X-42 PSL-1, in a gas sour service.

Thanks for the help.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

israeljrr, it seems the API pipe would need to be a permitted material under B31.3. I am not familiar enough with either to say.

Regards,

Mike

Over 30 years ago, a major gas producer/transporter specified X42 for sour gas service. Because even then steel manufacturers were making steel on a "one size fits all" basis, they actually recieved X58 equivalent pipe and failed to meet hardness requirements in the HAZ of the long seam and the circ seam welds. They ended up doing a whole lot of heat treating. I advised them that they needed to purchase this steel to a specified chemistry further limiting carbon, manganese, silicon, vanadium/niobium as my company was doing in similar sour service applications. So beware and act accordingly!!

I will say .. use API 5L pipe spec , but make sure you satisfy the wall thickness against ASME B31.8 ( gas line code).

API X42/X52 seamless pipe is industry acceptable ..... because you don't need any clad and get these pipes from a stockist easily .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back