Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

pipe roll

Status
Not open for further replies.

S0606

Mechanical
Nov 16, 2006
GB
Hello,
I would like to get some information about pipe roll (rotation of the pipeline when installed subsea) and the ways to prevent it when installing tees or valves.

Regards,

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Well this is a phenomenon which happened as the pipeline tries to minimise the work done due to the reverse bending at the sag bend.This cases problems when installing valves and tees as it change the orientation

Humm.... you both mean Swivel Flanges, I presume.

But those are for the connection, not trying to control it during laying. I think that's what S0606 is aftera. I don't know if anyone is trying to control it during laying, except by holding tension and not letting it overbend too much.

"What gets us into trouble is not what we don't know, its what we know for sure" - Mark Twain

"This cases problems when installing valves and tees as it change the orientation"

BigInch,
Yes meant Swivel flanges. I cant get what exactly S0606 is looking for!

Siddharth
These are my personal views/opinions and not of my employer's.

Seems nobody get's it... so far.

I've always included a misalignment fitting "ball-socket type" in my tie-ins. It accepts a few degrees angular misalignment and rotates to any angle to match flange bolt holes, but that's for tie-ins, not during laying.

"What gets us into trouble is not what we don't know, its what we know for sure" - Mark Twain

Thanks for you comment but what I am looking for is controlling during the laying process not at the tie-in. Actually, there are ways to do this such as attaching a bouncy tanks to valves to stop it roll and stay in the right direction.
I am looking for more information on the subject of rectifying this problem

I have seen flotation sections attached to the upper section of the pipe as it is being runout, this keeps it orientated.

Offshore Engineering&Design

I am assuming he has appurtanences (sp?) on the pipe, such as inline tees, valves, plets etc which cause the pipe to become 'unbalanced' when laid.

Isn't it easier to lay the pipes, then come back, and lower in and connect tie-in assemblies? We never did a layoff with a valve rolling down a stinger and that was in what I'm sure must have been much shallower water than is typical these days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back