Pipe Size on Existing Drawings

Status
Not open for further replies.

HDStructural

Structural
Apr 24, 2024
US
Hello All,

I am foreign to the piping thread but have a question that may be easy for you to answer. I am analyzing existing pipe bents to see if the structure and foundations can take any more load. Looking through the existing drawings, I am unable to determine the steam pipe size (16" SH200-1-CL-1). There are not other sheets that clarify what the other information is. It is clearly a 16" pipe but I am not sure what the pipe thickness is. Any help is appreciated.

For reference, this was built in the 70's and is located in the Northeast (USA).

Thanks
Screenshot_2024-07-09_153852_xewrhg.png

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

SH200 appears to be the line number? Or could it stand for 200 psig steam? And SH200-1 is the line number?

CL-1 looks like it is the piping material specification. The original project specification, if you can find them, will have a Piping Materials Specifications spec which provides detail data on each individual piping material spec, You would look up CL-1 piping material specification and it will show all piping material, pressure ratings, wall thickness etc, for that piping material spec CL-1.

If you can't find the original piping material specification then you could estimate the wall thickness using wall thickness calculations per B31.1 or B31.3 knowing the maximum pressure and temperature of the steam. Steam piping typically is Std. Wt.(STD) for low and medium pressure steam above 2" size and Sch. 80 below 2", ASME B16.5 150# piping (285 psig @ 100F).

You need the pipe specs from the original project that installed the piping. Or, call in your mechanical integrity folks and start measuring!

Good Luck,
Latexman

HD
Examine by inspect and record the actual od and wall thickness. Measure the outside diameter with a pie tape. And large calipers. The wall thickness can be measured with an ultra sonic gage that can measure wall. Contact a sales engineer with one of the major machinist and mechanical inspection tools.
Verify if there are visual markings stamped on the out side of the pipe. There should be certifications in a box some where who made the pipe. Contact the original manufacture of the pipe. Good leads to follow.

Could be anything.

SH200 could be the fluid (steam) and a pipe spec number, CL-1 could be class 150?

I looked to see if there was ever a schedule 200 and didn't find one for steel.

One pipe is like asking what the picture is from one piece of a jigsaw....

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

Thank you all for the responses.

I am not able to find the pipe specification for this so my best bet will be the ultrasonic gage as mentioned above.

Op
Calibrate the ultra sonic gage before use. Take
A sample part or sample with a known thickness.
And measure it. Then verify the pipe. Good luck

Sometimes you can get a fitter to pull back insulation and read the SChedule printed on the side of the pipe ..

... a reasonable bet would be that the 16" OD pipe is either Sched 40 or 80 ...

I believe that if you can get your structural calc to work with Sch 40 wall thickness, the Sch 80 will also pass

Your material will be probably A53-B or A106 -B (Carbon Steel)

But, with hot steam piping, it kinda sounds like you should do a detailed stress analysis of an entire system and supports

No ??

MJCronin
Sr. Process Engineer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back