Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Pipe sleeves in concrete

Status
Not open for further replies.

JECCNC

Civil/Environmental
Apr 5, 2003
QA
Hi everyone, I have a GRP pipe passing through a concrete chamber, the chamber contains an ultrasonic flow meter. for the interface between the pipe and the concrete wall of the chamber I am proposing that a pipe sleeve is cast in the chamber wall and the pipe is then passed through it. the EPC contractor wants to wrap the GRP pipe with Flexible material and concrete over it, he is saying that this is a standard method of doing things, does any one know of standard details for this type of thing?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

sorry about that, I am using british standards, but if there is any other details that may be considered " good practice" that will do

At the industrial facility I'm at, I've seen conduits and some pipes such as storm drainage run through walls and floors and just grouted in. While other piping is run through a couple of sizes larger pipe sleeve and filled in with fire seal material. It not real familar with the design, but my guess is that it has to do with how much pipe movement your dealing with.

Wrapping cast in pipes with a flexible and compressible material, such as a foam rubber, is a commonly used detail where I am.

Typically, sealing of annular space around piping is based on requirements for preventing water penetration or fire resistance. For centering/support of pipe and filling the gap a link-seal is commonly inserted then caulked with a sealant. This type may also be fire rated. Fire resistant ratings are based (in the U.S.) on tested "assemblies" as qualified by various manufacturers of fire barrier systems such as 3M.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back