Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Pipe spec/class naming conventions

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikeg8

Industrial
Nov 15, 2005
GB
Apologies if this is in the wrong place, but here goes anyway...

Is there a generally accepted naming convention for pipe specs or pipe classes? I can't find a standard which covers this. I've been tasked to create a number of pipe specs or pipe classes that we can use on future small (truck mounted skid type) projects. I could always invent a system but don't want to 're-invent the wheel' when I don't have to.

Mike

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

What ever you do remember
"KISS" (Keep It Simple Stupid)
I have seen cases of pipe spec/clasifications where they were made far too complex because the originator wanted them to be "smart" codes.
The best ones I ever worked with were simple codes and only identified the basics.
i.e.: 3 position, 1st position is flange rating, 2nd position is material and 3rd position is corrosion allowance.
Example;
AA1 = 150# Carbon Steel 1/16 C.A.
CA1 = 300# Carbon Steel 1/16 C.A.
etc.

Hi,

The is a Process Industries Practices (PIP) number PNSM0001 which can be used as guideline for naming the piping line classes.

Hope it helps,
Frank

PennPiper, Frank, Nozzle Twister: thanks fellas. I'll have a root around and see what I can come up with.

Mike

90% of a project takes 90% of the time...the last 10% of a project takes the other 90% of the time!

NozzleTwister,

In my industry, A=150# usually, B=300#, C=600# ...

I have never used 125# ANSI, and in the upstream side, we are seeing consolidation of starting at 600# and going up (nothing under 600#).

I guess it varies by industry and geography, like everything else?

"Do not worry about your problems with mathematics, I assure you mine are far greater."
Albert Einstein
Have you read FAQ731-376 to make the best use of Eng-Tips Forums?

Ashereng,

While it is not as widely used now as it once was, 125# systems are common in many refineries for low pressure utility services.

NozzleTwister
Houston, Texas

Nozzle,

Yup. Agree.

Like I said, it varies with industry and geography.

"Do not worry about your problems with mathematics, I assure you mine are far greater."
Albert Einstein
Have you read FAQ731-376 to make the best use of Eng-Tips Forums?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back