Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PIPE SUPPORT-COLUMN ORIENTATION

Status
Not open for further replies.

tmgczb

Structural
May 12, 2021
CN
WhatsApp_Image_2022-04-16_at_08.34.33_i1bhj4.jpg

Which type is more widely used? I used the first type.
If there is anchor load in transverse direction(guide load),then I use the second type.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

IMO, the use of the structural support types can be the personal preference, but the 2nd type design may be applied for the pipe with and without the "guide load".

Check your pipe loads.
If lateral stability, vertical pipe weight kl/r loads, wind or earthquake loads exceed axial loads, friction, stops or other axial anchor loads, then use the one on the right. Otherwise left is better for axial pipe and Friction loads. Usually right has more general advantage, but it's not absolute in all cases.

A black swan to a turkey is a white swan to the butcher ... and to Boeing.

I tend to end up using the second one more than the first, but that's just because it feels nicer to me with the flange load paths aligning better. I can count the number of times where a preference between these two orientations has significantly mattered on my fingers and it's always really application specific. Other times, there's a bias towards one orientation, but it's not much of a cost impact either way. Honestly, I'm usually sizing these types of supports partially based on what's visually acceptable. There's generally a lot of capacity in them for the types of loads they'll see. Reasons for bias in one direction might include some of the following things. A deflection criteria from the piping stress team might bias you in one direction or the other. There may be constraints based on the connections below (for instance, aligning the column web with the web of the supporting beam may make bolting easier). You may also have a directionality based on piping restraints (directional stops, anchors, guides, etc.) You also might have unbalanced load based on different sized pipes either side of center.

I agree that theoretically, case one is better for a greater number of vertical support cases, as the pipe friction likely tends axial to the pipe, but it's not a given as that may change near corners or in certain other situations, so I would generally apply friction load in both directions for design unless I'm working really hard on the support. So it still doesn't really matter that much.

Basically, it rarely matters and do whatever feels better for the given situation based on your understanding of the design conditions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back