Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Pipe Support Reactions Provided by Pipe Stress

Status
Not open for further replies.

iv63

Structural
Jan 6, 2009
US
I have posted the similar question in CAESAR II forum with only one response ( However I would like to hear the structural experts’ opinions on this subject. Our stress engineer provides max reactions at pipe supports for “default” load combinations. However I need reactions for the basic loads (pipe dead weight, pipe operating weight, temperature, pressure, wind, …) and I will combine them using ASCE-7 loads factors to design steel and foundations. He told me that Caesar allows to use only “default” load combinations as listed below. How do you use pipe support reactions provided by pipe stress? I appreciate your comments. iv

CAESAR “Default” Load Combinations:

1 (HYD) WW+HP
2 (OPE) W+T1+P1
3 (OPE) W+T2+P2
4 (OPE) W+T3+P3
5 (OPE) W+T2+P2+WIN1
6 (OPE) W+T2+P2+WIN2
7 (OPE) W+T2+P2+WIN3
8 (OPE) W+T2+P2+WIN4
9 (OPE) W+T3+P3+WIN1
10 (OPE) W+T3+P3+WIN2
11 (OPE) W+T3+P3+WIN3
12 (OPE) W+T3+P3+WIN4
13 (SUS) W+P1
14 (SUS) W+P2
15 (SUS) W+P3
16 (OCC) W+P2+WIN1
17 (OCC) W+P2+WIN2
18 (OCC) W+P2+WIN3
19 (OCC) W+P2+WIN4
20 (OCC) W+P3+WIN1
21 (OCC) W+P3+WIN2
22 (OCC) W+P3+WIN3
23 (OCC) W+P3+WIN4
24 (EXP) L24=L2-L13
25 (EXP) L25=L3-L14
26 (EXP) L26=L4-L15

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I am surprised the software load combinations can not be manipulated. Can the pipe stress engineer provide the reaction for each load case (dead, wind , etcetera) rather than the combinations?

Our mechanical guys have given us additional combos that broke the load cases down to individual reactions.
It took us a while to get them to understand what we were looking for but they helped us out.
For instance,
3 (OPE) W+T1+P1
4 (SUS) W+P1
9 (EXP) L9=L3-L4
There should also be an option for a load case - self weight of the pipe
6 (OCC) WNC : WNC = Weight no Contents

I wouldn't even use their wind load reactions.
I calculate these myself because I don't know if they are doing it correctly/accurately.
I'm not sure how they did it because I have no experience with CAESAR, but I know it can be done.
I'm sure the stress engineer will give you a word document with the printed reaction.
You could also do it manually but he should be able to include them in his analysis.

I put the maximum horizontal load at anchor loads. the maximum vertical at operation load.
Pipe stress guy in my company just give me the maximum loads on the isometric drawings, not tabulated form.
Sometimes the load gets "doubled" because I also calculate my own wind load for pipes.
I put their maximum horizontal load (which may contain wind load) on my anchor load case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back