Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Pipe Wall Thickness 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

dash81

Chemical
Oct 18, 2007
US
Hi everybody,

I have read about pipe wall thickness calculation using B31.3 and I have seen that the final wall thickness considers manufacturer's tolerance (For Example, 12.5% for A106).

My question is ¿do I also have to consider this manufacturer's tolerance when I'm calculating under other B31 codes (B31.4, B31.8, etc)?

Thanks a lot.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

cmanjarres

The 31.8 considers the underthickness tolerances in the wall thickness calculation by means of Basic Design Factor.

So you DO NOT need to consider it separately in wall thickness calculation.
(refer section 841.11 ASME B31.8)
regards

Siddharth
These are my personal views/opinions and not of my employer's.

In B31.1 (Power Piping, 2007) para 104.1.2, it states that...

"If pipe is ordered by its nominal wall thickness, the manufacturing tolerance on wall thickness must be taken into account. After the minimum wall thickness is calculated, this minimum thickness shall be increased by an amount sufficient to provide the manufacturing tolerance allowed in the applicable pipe specification or required by the process."

It's similar to the "c" adder (mechanical allowances) in B31.3 (Process Piping, 2006), para 304.1.1, although it doesn't describe it as explicitly in this code.

As for B31.4, 402.3.1 states that ...In setting design factor, due consideration has been given to and allowance has been made for the underthickness tolerance... provided for in the specifications approved by the Code."

jt

Hi everyone,i am having problem calculating for the wall thickness of a stainless steel pipe of a thick wall pipe (d/t<20) for a subsea application, a subsea manifold to be precise. Please can anyone furnish me with procedure to calculate it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back