Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Pipeline corrosion control system. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ac4468

Geotechnical
Jan 29, 2014
US
I have been approached by a natural gas pipeline operator regarding an easement on my property allowing them to install a corrosion system which I believe will be a DC Cathodic system. What if any concerns should I have in regards to personal safety, environmental impacts,livestock grazing, noise from the rectifier?? etc. In calculating the value of the easement I need to evaluate how it will affect the value of the property as well as my enjoyment of the property. Does the periodic replacement of the sacrificial metal require excavation each time?

Thanks in advance for any input.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If your easement is a strip running away from the pipeline for about 150 yd s, then this is for a low voltage dc cable and an anode bed.

Apart from the disruption caused by installation, there should be no impact once the reinstatement is complete after a few months. Everything should be and need to be buried to work properly.

A dc anode bed should last for 15 yrs or so before being replaced, which normally involves digging out the ground bed and replacing it.

If there is a transformer, this is normally a small pole mounted tx, similar to any domestic ones seen in rural areas. Unless you're standing under it on a windless day, you'll never even hear it hum.

Probably more important, the company will require periodic inspection and monitoring to take measurements and maybe adjustments perhaps every month at worst, but more likely every three to six months.

It sounds unlikely that you will have any buried metallic structure between the anode bed and the pipeline, but if you did it might not be good news as it could corrode it much faster.

Is this a new pipeline or am existing one?

My motto: Learn something new every day

Also: There's usually a good reason why everyone does it that way

It's a newer leg of an existing natural gas pipeline. It's a 24" diameter line that is now 4-5 years old. The proposed site of the rectifier is about 200 yards from the pipeline.

Then all previously written is correct.

You should not have any serious concerns about this other than disruption during installation, visual impairment and the fact you now have someone elses property on your property which they have rights over, having paid you a suitable sum.

The anode bed is usually composed of sealed sacks of material such as coke, rather than metal, but ask for the details and if you don't understand the materials or terminology come back here and ask.

No problem. If you "like the post", there's a button for that... [pc3]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back