Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Pipeline external pressure

Status
Not open for further replies.

samadqureshi

Petroleum
Mar 29, 2011
PL
Hi everyone,
I m a new pipeline engineer, I have to design a offshore gas pipeline. I have read most of the codes and standards but all I want to know is that how to calculate the external pressure when the pipe is at the sea bottom?
is it the simple formula as P = density.gravity.depth
or its more than that?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Got a long way to go huh.

Yes, density x depth.

Don't be afraid to open a text book and read the first page or two sometimes.

Let your acquaintances be many, but your advisors one in a thousand’ ... Book of Ecclesiasticus

If it changes the water depth, of course it will have an effect.

Let your acquaintances be many, but your advisors one in a thousand’ ... Book of Ecclesiasticus

For external pressure design we need to know maximum difference between external and internal pressure. So, the phenomena such as Tide, Wave, and storme surge should be considered for calculating the external pressure. For internal pressure the minimum pressure the the condition of interest should be used.

Hi,
The formula is the following :
P=(Roxgxh)+Pa
with :
Ro=density of sea water
g=gravity
H=depth
Pa=Athmospheric pressure.
Exemple : At 300m of depth, the water density is about 1026kg/m3, also the external pressure is :
P=((1026*9.81*300)/100000)+1
P=31.195 bar, with P=relative pressure applied onto the pipe on the bottom of the sea.
Eric

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back