Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Pipeline monitoring for burst

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dario2002

Petroleum
Aug 25, 2006
HR
Is there any good site, magazine, book, powerpoint .. anything .. about pipeline burst monitoring (natural gas transmission) using pressure drop over time?

We are using pneumatic devices which close pipeline when pressure drop is too high (change to electronic device is stared).

I need to make some rough presentation of this concept, and I would like to cover following;

- what are rules for positioning such devices on pipeline (for new pipelines), like calculating distance, rivers, roads, city, etc ..

- what pressure drop gradient to setup on device (calculation or rules)

- recommendations and requirements for equipment (covering controlling device, actuators pneumatic or electric, electronic, valves, etc. )

- anything else ..

At least, can You give me common names for this branch of equipment (we are using LBC - Line Break Control), so that I can google for some infos ..

Thank You ..

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Google "pipeline leak detection" and you'll get a ton.

Location depends on type of primary sensors, diameter of pipe, length at pressure, product toxicity, degree of sensitivity of leak you need to pick up. To do it right involves quite a bit of study.

"What gets us into trouble is not what we don't know, its what we know for sure" - Mark Twain

I need more "rupture" effect than "leak". I will google for that also, but i hope that someone knows for some good source text already.

This should not go into depth (not neccery), only to cover overview for "technical managment" people.

Best way to determine what you need and where you need it is to do a transient analysis of the system. That way you can actually see what depressurization rates you get and what levels of sensitivity you need to pick up different leak/rupture volumes that you test at various points along the pipeline.

"What gets us into trouble is not what we don't know, its what we know for sure" - Mark Twain

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back