Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Pipeline underground or aboveground 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

wenchop

Chemical
Mar 23, 2012
NO
Hello, a steel insulated pipeline will operate with a liquid stream to be maintained at aprox 140°C and ambient temperature is aprox 15°C minimum, is there a rule of thumb that determines whether this pipeline cannot be buried/under-ground, and that it has to be above ground? I am thinking that there would be problems with mechanical stress from expanding/contracting, so it needs to be above-ground? Thanks in advance.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Biginch:

I am a chemical engineer, not a mechanical engineer, doing some research, not any type or phase of design. In my projects we have installed Ethafoam successfully to manage expansion of pipelines with changes in temperature, this designed by certified stress engineers. Ethafoam is just another foam, it doesn't matter, what matters is the principle. Leaving some space in the Z bends for movement. I have nothing to do with selling Ethafoam or Dow. IN fact, before me, someone brought up another product which is why I thought of the foam.

My question is very simple, and relevant judging by the number of responses we have to date.

I suggest you hold your judgement before knowing.

You don't work for them by any chance?? See the rules on promoting on this site. Looks periously close to it to me. There are a significant number of vendors offering suitable insualtion - that's not the point of this thread so please don't hijack it.

My motto: Learn something new every day

Also: There's usually a good reason why everyone does it that way

Big & Little Inch, MortenA is a longtime site contributor, as you would recognize if you clicked on his name and looked at the date he joined and forums he frequents. He doesn't work for Logstor (and I don't either). I'm fairly certain he was trying to be helpful. Relax a bit guys.

Want to know the do's and don'ts of Eng-Tips? Read FAQ731-376.
English not your native language? Looking for some help in getting your question across to others or understanding their answers? Go to forum1529.

Ok, should have looked at a bit of history. It did look a bit odd though.

My motto: Learn something new every day

Also: There's usually a good reason why everyone does it that way

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back