Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Pipeline welding

Status
Not open for further replies.

ek4putr4

Mechanical
May 2, 2008
MY
We received aorund 5000 jts of linepipe 24" OD 14.3 mm Wt API 5L X65 SAW @12 m/jts. The problem is that the weld seam at the end of of the linepipe is not grinded flush to the OD of the pipe. Will this cause problems during welding offshore? Do we need to grind it flush, maybe 50 mm around both of the edge?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

It should have been specified in the PO to be ground flush. As you mentioned, it will cause problems with your automatic welding as well as your AUT. I had that problem once before in Russia and we did grind the external seam. Check with the welding & AUT equipment manufacturers for the positioning of their equipment relative to the weld and grind only back as far as needed.

Greg Lamberson, BS, MBA
Consultant - Upstream Energy

Differing AUT equipment have differing footprints, which could be proportional to wall thickness dependening on the system to be used.

If the weld cap is not removed then the scanning probe pan is very likely to be knocked and damaged by the impact with the reinforcement. I have seen it where just a millimeter or two lip of remaining weld reinforcement has knocked probes off and twisted the mounts causing delays.

I agree with Greg - determine the AUT outfit's requirements and have the reinforcement ground flush in the pipeyard.

Nigel Armstrong
Lloyds Register
Independent Verification Body Surveyor

Same thing happened to me on a project, and as the group above has stated... check the AUT and AWS equipment specs for cut back. Grind flush and check the WT constantly throughout the process to make sure you do not undercut the line pipe. This can be done for a cost at the coating facility prior to applying CWC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back