Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Piping: ASME B31.8 spec

Robotaz

Petroleum
Nov 22, 2016
US
Hello.

I am not a drafter. I’m an engineer and project manager in the natural gas industry and have been for 25 years.

I am struggling with an employer, software, and piping inaccuracies. I have a designer who is relatively inexperienced who started out piping in Plant3D and now in Revit. Using both, when I ask him to check dimensions of tees, flanges, gaps between flange faces, etc, they are almost always wrong. It’s to the point I’m asking myself what good is this software if all it does is draw lines and literally every single dimension has to be verified.

I am used to designers using CADWorx and the dimensions being correct and, honestly, the designers being oblivious to whether they’re correct. They pull in the parts and it’s drawn correctly.

Can someone help me understand how to get through this mess and have Revit software that when you pull ASME B31.8 parts into a model, they are the correctly-drawn parts? Is there a way to specify B31.8? Does the spec need to be imported? Is the spec already in there? I’m at a loss and very frustrated because either these programs are garbage, or I’m dealing with user error due to operator inexperience. I really don’t know what the problem is and how to fix it.

Thanks in advance.

Back