Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

PIPING CAD

Status
Not open for further replies.

chobes123

Mechanical
May 4, 2004
US
I AM LOOKING FOR A CAD PROGRAM FOR PIPING, IS SOLIDWORKS A GOOD, DETAILED PROGRAM FOR PIPING?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Look into buying Routing - - Call your VAR to get a prices and a copy.

Regards,

Scott Baugh, CSWP [borg2]
CSWP.jpg

faq731-376

Who told you that SolidWorks router would not work?
What is it you’re trying to do?
What drafting package is being used now?
Has anyone looked at the demo, before saying it would not work?

Bradley

chobes123
Was it a SW user who told you that SW "probably won't help" with what you do?

What do you do?

[cheers] from (the City of) Barrie, Ontario.

[lol] Everyone has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film. [lol]

it was actaully someone from Solidworks he called me today.. we do drawgins for Waste Water plants and water treatment plants and he said that solidworks isn't the right fit for us, ever hear of CADpipe? or flow logic?

If Routing won't work for you then I'm not aware of any other Piping package that would work within SW. That is if your even using SW now?

I don't understand why Routing will not work for you? You can make your Library piping parts. All you need to do is make the route and add the pipes. That's the dumbed down version of it but that still holds water.

Who at SW did you talk too? Are you sure your talking about a VAR? Lots of customers that call think they are talking directly with SW and your not. Your talking to someone with a VAR that sells SW and supports SW for them.

Regards,

Scott Baugh, CSWP [borg2]
CSWP.jpg

faq731-376

Check out
The only caveat hinted at in the text is
Streamline the design of machinery, equipment, small facilities, or anything else that requires routing tubes, pipes and cables.

On the same page check out the Interactive Tour link which, after signing in, will give you access to over 50 demos of SW features. These are not in-depth tutorials but do give good insight into SW capabilities.

Like Scott, I do not see why the Routing package would not be suitable for your needs. It is supposed to cater to Tubing, Piping & Cabling.

If anyone from SW is listening in ... please ... feel free to clarify. [bigears]

[cheers] from (the City of) Barrie, Ontario.

[lol] Everyone has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film. [lol]

No one has asked the basic question as to your intent to work in a 2D or 3D environment. If 2D is what your are after, then Solidworks isn't the optimal tool.

2d is what we use, but 3d can be still put into a plan veiw and that would still be fine, plus then we could get all the piping fit right in place and exact location. can anyone tell me ballpark cost of solidworks?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back