Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Piping Filed Engineer. 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

wilburfhh

Mechanical
May 3, 2006
US
Any good advises on how to put together pipe in the field? Any recommendations? Also any book or website for fabricating piping in the field on large oil and gas construction projects?
Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Butt Weld?
Socket Weld?
Screwed?

Not sure what you are asking. Can you narrow your question into something that can be answered in a short paragraph (be specific)?

I am entry level mech engineer. I will be involved in an Oil and gas project as a piping field engineer in the jobsite. My question was for any recommendation I should know? Any website or book where describe what a piping field engineer does? Etc.

wilburfhh said:
My question was for any recommendation I should know? [/quote wilburfhh]

Yes, try to see if you have any senior level mechanical engineers that could help mentor you or are 'go-to' resources for piping. This is an opportunity to learn from seasoned engineers.

I would bet your first lesson will be to learn how to read the plans. Get some sample plans and specifications and start studying

As cvg said ...

Get as-built p&ids, plans, iso's, specs etc from previous installations, read them in conjuction with each other, ask questions of other engineers, then look at the actual installation vs drawings and try to compare.

The main thing is to ask questions.

This will not happen overnight, it will be years before you fully understand piping design vs pipe fabrication/installation.

So many materials, so many connection types, so many ways of designing ..... so many questions!

pipingdesigner
pipingdesigners%20logo.gif

One word of advice from a former welder fitter now service mechanic. Don't under estimate the knowledge and experience of that pipefitter/welder/installer, these guys/(gals now too) have probably installed more piping systems than most junior engineers has seen in their career.
When they say "Are you sure you want to do it that way?" Take a minute to hear what they have to say it might save you a lot of time and money.

I'm not a real engineer, but I play one on T.V.
A.J. Gest, York Int./JCI

You can go online and buy a "pipefitters handbook". It will explain almost all the joining types and procedures, from how to properly cut and bevel pipe for butt welds, to how to prep pipe for a stainless orbital weld.

and listen to Yorkman, these guys are a wealth of knowledge and if they think something won't work, then 90% of the time it won't.

For construction projects which I have been involved, Contractor Field Piping Engineers redesign pipe when required, make as built drawings, prepare hydrotest packages, interface with Engineering office Piping Engineers and pipe spool fabricators, interface with craft piping errection supervision, review placement of valving, review placement of or need for additional pipe supports, check appropriate setting for hangers, generate or answer requests for information of a technical nature, etc., etc.

Zapster,

You forgot flanged.

"Do not worry about your problems with mathematics, I assure you mine are far greater."
Albert Einstein
Have you read FAQ731-376 to make the best use of Eng-Tips Forums?

In addition to the great advice already given, I would recommend that you take the time to learn how to draw ISOs. Note that you may need to make some sketches for the drafting folks in the office or for your records. Be prepared with having a good fitting/valve reference guide, your company’s piping and instrument legends, and sufficient drafting implements to crank out some ISOs and basic plans. Typically, there is no need to draw scaled plans and sections in the field; however, you should be able to draw plans well enough for others to follow your ideas. Think about PPE (personal protection equipment) requirements, tape measure, etc. Also, if you are inexperienced, a diameter tape might be helpful.

Consult with your field welders as Yorkman indicated. They are a lot smarter than you think, and eventho they may give some smart "explitive" answers I am sure they'll be glad to help you.

As some other members have already posted some very good advice. I'll try to keep my suggestions short.

Your main responsibility as a field piping engineer should be to support construction activities. What that means is help the construction supervisor, general foreman, piping foreman, fitter and welder by supplying them any and all information they require to complete their tasks. You should also be responsible for making sure that all components on the isometrics are installed per the drawings. (i.e... valves, pipe supports, pie shoes, guides, spring supports, insulation, tracing, etc…). You may also be asked to chase down materials to support the construction activities.

If you don't have the experience, do not redesign any piping systems. If a problem is encountered in the field, you should gather any and all relevant information and forward it to engineering contractor who designed the system. It should be their responsibility to resolve these issues.

This is a great opportunity for you to get some valuable experience. Don't be afraid to ask questions.

Good Luck!

Hench

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back