Status
Not open for further replies.

pacha2003

Materials
Jun 15, 2006
IT
Hi,
Could anybody please indicate to me:
1. where to download a freeware for drawing piping isometrics?
2. where can find free courses/tips on how to prepare a piping isometric drawing?

Thanks a lot for your help

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Have to agree with other comments even if a bit cynical. I have always found it much more expedient to do simple isometrics by hand sketch. If you look around - you should be able to get some isometric ruled A3 (sorry - metric) paper. This will make the task much easier. I fear that for the odd isometric here and there - you will found it very inefficient to try to use a software package and as trashcanman has said, any Freeware for this will be worth what you pay - not a lot.
Is Geoffrey D Stone my favorite university lecturer from UWA???

Thanks to everyone.
I will use a pencil ans hand sketch.

What are the rules to make an isometric? This is the first time I am trying to the so.

Thanks again

Thanks to everyone.
I will use a pencil ans hand sketch.

What are the rules to make an isometric? This is the first time I am trying to do so.

Thanks again

Rules? Well, there are the basics.
1. Draw your coordinate system (XYZ) and stay with it.
2. If you are not drawing to a standard scale (1/8, 1/16) then dimension everything, or label it and have a size table attached.
3. Know what the takeoffs are for fittings, ie. 2" sch 40 CS BW 90 takes off 2.75". You should be able to find a pipefitters guide that will give you these. In the case that you cannot find this, make you dimensions from center to center of the fittings, the workers will figure it out.
4. If your pipe is going to 2 directions, ie 2' X+ by 3' Y-, then draw the triangles on there showing the piping leaving the traditional XYZ planes.
5. If your are makign multiple drawings, and they combine together in the field, mark the ends of the pipes on the drawings, they will then transfer this marking in the shop to the pipe and it makes the erection go a lot smoother.

Plans & elevations should be drawn to scale. ISOs are not. A perspective view can be made from a 3D drawing; however, perspective views and ISOs are different. The only advice I can give is: ask a knowledgeable colleague to recommend some ISOs to study from a previous project that he thinks are of good quality. You did not say what type of ISOs you are trying to draw. ISOs for a commercial building’s wastewater (sewer) systems are quite different than ISOs for process piping for an industrial plant.

Do you have AutoCAD and are just in need of some blocks? If so post this in the AutoDesk/AutoCad forum.

Thanks to every one.
The type of ISOs I am trying to draw are for process piping.
Zapster wrote that no scale is necessary for ISOs but how to make a regular drawing between all piping parts (pipe, fittings,...)?

pacha2003
Isometrics are are generally not drawn to scale, but dimentioned adequatly to extract necessary information for shop drawing or construction. All fittings are shown schematically and dimentioned.
Use can use autocad easily if you have.

I must add that you need good understanding of the art of piping to make a good isometrics manually.

Good luck

The best CAD software for "manual" (rather than automated) drawing of isometrics is Smartsketch. Its not free but IMO its the best tool for the job and one of the best 2D drafting programmes for both engineering drawing and non-scale "sketching" such as isometrics and P&IDs. Its has a many novel and very productive features compared with AutoCAD including some that are especially useful for drawing isometrics, P&IDs etc. (AutoCAD is my CAD tool of choice for traditional engineering drafting although there is a big overlap in the 2D).

Smartsketch is the core drafting programme for smartplant P&ID, etc. However, I would avoid the latter by a country mile unless you have an extremely large budget (time AND money), are a glutton for punishment and are forced to use it by others. Bolt-ons like smartplant P&ID make an extremely good, simple and productive tool into something extremely complicated and very cumbersome requiring a dedicated team of experienced operators - as different to Smartsketch as you could possibly be. I suspect most folk would not buy these "enhanced" tools if they really understook what could be done using the basic Smartsketch.
(A cynic might suggest that this is part of a cunning marketing plan).
The only problem with the basic Smartsketch CAD programme is its stupid and very misleading name!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back