piping layout 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

miguelandrade

Mechanical
Mar 28, 2013
EC
Hello,

I need to draw the piping layout of a tuna processing industry. The proyect includes ammonia, vapor, compressed air, process water, etc.
Can someone tell me if there is or are any codes or standards for the 2d represention. How do I show when a pipe is going up or down? how do I represent the accesories on a vertical pipe? how do I distinguish between two pipes which are one over the another one. Which information other than diameter and schedule must be on the layout? Questions like those and several others arose now that I have to do this job, so I guess there must be a book or any other reference to solve all of them. Information about 3d is also appreciated

Thanks a lot

Miguel

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I shall make clear I was not asked to design the systems, the systems already exist, but there is no documented information, so what I have to do is to compile all the data on campus and draw it. I just graduated from mechanical engineering, but I already have working experience, so I do feel confident about recognizing all the elements of the systems and their functions.

My weakness is on the drawing, the standard 2D layout representations and 3D drawings. I have been making a research and found out that there are some ISO standards: ISO 3511; ISO 14617; ISO 15519 and others about industrial processes graphical representations, but I don't want to purchase any of them before having heard an advice from someone with experience on the matter. I rather use ISO standards because the enterprise is a subsidiary of a multinational firm.

So as you can see I have no prior experience as a drawer, I have always worked on field, but I accepted this job because of two reasons: 1) as a junior engineer it is a good oportunity to get acquaintance with piping systems on an integral way, and 2) once I have all the information on my hands it will easier to get jobs as a maintenance contractor inside.

Thanks a lot for your help friends.

Why do drawings of existing installations these days? Get a drone, or 3D laser scanner. Take 3D pictures. Use a new BIMS type 3D presentation format.

Miguel,

The 2d plan and section are useful for layout and separation from things like doors, walls and other bits of equipment like tanks, pumps etc but most piping systems would be represented by an isometric which shows each item and lengths angles etc.

It's not easy doing asbuilts of an existing plant but work from weld to weld and build it as an isometric first.

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

BigInch, CAD drawings is all the client needs, that is why. The technology used depends on the needs you have.

LittleInch, you are right, ISO reccomends isometric views, thaks

Miguel, you have a lot of information at the IIAR: International Institute of Ammonia Refrigeration.

Those guys are the real experts and can guide you!

It would probably be more cost effective to engage an experienced person to develop the drawings.

Without CAD experience, it will be very difficult to prepare drawings. You should take some CAD classes first.

What you can do is prepare some P & ID drawings. P & ID drawings are more useful in understanding of the process.

I agree with bimr, if you don't have CAD experience, even with books, this is going to be a very painful process for you. You make it sound like your company doesn't have a process in place for a job like this. First see what is available at your company, see what their standards are, and proceed from there. They should be able to help immensely here, why redesign the wheel. IIAR is a great source for ammonia system design, but I don't believe they have much in the way of drawing creation.

BigInch
Laser scanning and 3D is still out of the realm of cost effective for most places. Everyone wants everything for nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back