Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Piping Software that will improve my productivity. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

IAAWVU05

Mechanical
Nov 9, 2006
US
I am currently looking for software to consider in my future projects. I currently use AutoCAD 2002. I would like to have the following features for the lowest price possible.

1. Parametric piping
2. Smart P&ID
3. Automatic Isometric Drawing
4. Bill of Materials Calculator
5. Parts Library
6. Auto CAD add-on (preferably)

I have done a few projects now, and for each one, I have to draw the parts from ASME B 16.5, Draw the P&ID, and Count My Components and add them up for a total BoM. Not to mention if I mess up dimensions, I have to slice or add or even start over again. It's a big waste of company time and money, and it's killing me.

I was wondering if such a software existed, and if it was available inexpensively (like under $5K), or should I spend the time to write a LISP file (probably taking a few months)

Thanks

IAA
WVU '05

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I couldn't tell you about pricing (though I doubt you're going to get everything you are looking for in any package for < $5K)

This is what my current company uses for plant design. It operates on top of AutoCAD

Edward L. Klein
Pipe Stress Engineer
Houston, Texas

"All the world is a Spring"

All opinions expressed here are my own and not my company's.

How much do those packages typically cost? If I don't have to do a piping job for a while, I don't think that my boss will justify it.

CADWorx by Coade is another option. They have several pagkages, and their 3d piping can export to Caesar (also by Coade) for stress analysis. The basic piping package (add-on for autocad) is $4500 USD
you can get more info on it at I'm in the process of evaluating this software for my company, and i like it.

In my opinion, Cadworx is the best software out there that sits on top of AutoCAD.

Easy to use straight out of the box
It does everything but the smart P&ID part. It has been a while since I used it, so it might do that now to.

Zuccus

I have experience in the Bentley Software - It is a definite advantage in relation to a design tool, but don't forget that on top of program costs there is training, + set up to your company standards (because this is a "spec driven program all piping specs must be "loaded" onto your system prior to useage, also isometric drawing formats / titleblocks / etc. must be loaded. I would suggest that you do a work load forcast, in $ to establish a measuring point for investment with any program. And start with the program long before you need it - to allow for the "learning curve"

You know I hate to say it, but if you don't have a good handle on dealing with piping components just drafting, I don't suspect using a fancy 3D package is going to help much! ...No matter what the computer program salesman tells you! ...My option!

I don't think that my drafting skills are in question. . I have spent a considerable amount of time drawing up different parts, and though I haven't gotten around to having drawn everything in ASME B 16.5, it sure feels like it :). It's just a pain to go through the same drawing counting up the number and size of reducers, tees, flanges, supports, and all the other stuff that comes with designing process piping. I could do it the way I've been doing (autoCAD for drafting, excel for book keeping), I may get better and faster over time, but it would be nice to be more productive now. If anyone knows a better book keeping and iso drawing system, please share.

If it's block your inserting into you drawing for components, and you know there in there only once for any given part, you could use autocad's "bcount" command to count the number of time a block appears.

It did very much. Now I can account for everything in my piping. The website that you gave was very good for me. I am currently reading over the site's LISP tutorials right now. Thanks, thalon.

My Piping is in 3D with my own blocks that I have created using ASME B 16.5. Thanks to mechanical desktop and the wblock command, I have shelled out all of the slip on class 150 flanges, and a few elbows, tees, and crosses as needed. I am still having difficulties with the eccentric reducer though, but I haven't needed that yet...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back