Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PIPING STRESS CALCULATION ACCORDING WRC 107

Status
Not open for further replies.

ROMEUM2

Mechanical
Oct 13, 2009
ES
Hi all,

I have a piping system with a pipe of NPS 32". The specification of the pipe is API 5L (thk 8.7 mm) and i have a corrosion of 1.5 mm.

When i try to do the calculations according WRC 107, i have a problem because my software (microprotol) say me that the ratio d/t is higher than 100.

Anyone knows if i have to take into account the corrosion allowance d/(nominal thk - CA) or we can use the expression d/nominal thickness.

Thanks,

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

d/t is limited to prevent pipe with bad characteristics (easy ovalization and failure by a squash-type collapse) of your pipe.

You should deduct the CA from all calculations where extra wall thickness would give a more favorable (unconservative) result. That would normally exclude, among others, when calculating dead weight of pipe, provided you are not calculating the dead weight to use in a buoyancy calculation.

What would you be doing, if you knew that you could not fail?

LSTHILL,
Doesn't "WRC 107 has been replaced by WRC 537" and "WRC 537 has replaced WRC 107" both mean the same? So why write it twice?? Great Cut and Paste of the "links" though!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back