Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Piping Valves are supplied in open or in closed position? 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

cjabhijit

Mechanical
Jan 5, 2011
AE
Dear All,

Could you pls advice whether the valves ordered are going to get supplied at site with open or in close position?
Question is applicable for any kind of routine piping valve i.e. Gate/Ball/Globe etc. but at the moment it is more specific for Ball valve (lever).

Pls let me know.

Thanks & Regards,
Abhijit

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

pennpiper,

You wrote,
Now let's consider the different Standard ways that an "Open or Closed" Valve is indicated on a P&ID (NO=Normally Open, NC=Normally Closed, CSO= Car Seal Open, CSC= Car Seal Closed).
only if indicated on the P&ID then include the Simple Open or Closed indication (as shown above).

In response to this, I wrote,
If a P&ID specifically shows a valve open or closed, the valve has to be shown in the isometric accordingly.

It means, if P&ID mentions NO or NC or CSO or CSC or LO or LC, the same has to be mentioned in isometric.

Never forget what you are. The rest of the world won't. Wear it like an armor and it can never hurt you.

Dear All,

Thanks for making this one interesting so far...

Pls consider from a Layout Engineer's perspective wherein I want to manage the available space with me wherein sometimes it is very tight (every foot counts scenario in revamp jobs).
Always, I want to manage my space considering worst case scenario i.e. what consumes more space either the valve in open or in close position? For me I design it for whatever takes more space.

Also, yes, an isometric is not normally used as the primary tool for start up hence should not be a problem with the above approach.

Any concerns pls let's discuss.

Thanks & Regards,
Abhijit

cjabhijit,
You should really rethink this statement:
Pls consider from a Layout Engineer's perspective wherein I want to manage the available space with me wherein sometimes it is very tight (every foot counts scenario in revamp jobs).
Always, I want to manage my space considering worst case scenario i.e. what consumes more space either the valve in open or in close position? For me I design it for whatever takes more space.

You must consider both the "open" and "closed" position for every Valve because many times in every Valve's life it will experience both positions.

Enough said on this subject I think!

Sometimes its possible to do all the right things and still get bad results

Slightly off topic, but the 1974 Camaro Z28 was notorious for tight quarters, making it nearly impossible to remove certain spark plugs. Your physical layout should also consider how someone is going to be able to manipulate the valves without banging their knuckles or otherwise getting hurt and how much room that requires. That's part of a human-factors engineering design.

TTFN (ta ta for now)
I can do absolutely anything. I'm an expert! faq731-376 forum1529 Entire Forum list

100% agreed pennpiper.

I think I would have re-framed my sentences in better way.... I should have said considering worst case in both scenarios however, should be possible for both open / close positions (not only the worst in terms of space required for the concerned valve).

Thanks & Regards,
Abhijit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back