Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Piping with CAD 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

chobes123

Mechanical
May 4, 2004
US
I am looking for a CAD program for piping, can anyone help me with ideas of what to look at? or any particular program in general?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If you're looking to move data back and forth (in other words in both directions), you'll need CAESAR II (for pipe stress) and CADWorx (for CAD).

Anything else is one-direction only, and some leave a lot to be desired.

Richard Ay
COADE, Inc.

If you want to just do layouts with some isometrics try the Mech-Q software it works and is much more reasonable price wise than Bently or microstation.

IF you don't want to spent major money, then just get either AUTOCAD or microstation. Use either program as a "brute force" drafting program. YES there are some "fancy" 3d piping programs, but in my experience most clients AREN'T building brand new facilities, where these types of programs could really shine. The clients I deal with are just "up-grading" and ONLY want to spend minimum money! With the AUTOCAD or microstation you can do basic drafting to generate any normally accepted construction drawing with minimum effort, something the 3d program users can't say. My $0.02 anyway! ...Mark

I would suggest Intergraph SmartSketch if you only need non-automated 2d drafting + non-automated isometrics. It is very quick and intuitive. There is a library of pipe components included. Building your own components is very simple. Much less cumbersome than AutoCAD for basic 2D and isometric drawing.

The only down side is the stupid name. It gives totally the wrong impression than it is a sketching program like Paintbrush.

In addition to SmartSketch for drafting, the same company provides SmartPlant for detailed design with extraction of drawings and reports from the 3D model. The interference checking is performed in real-time. This is the vendor's next generation plant design CAD package to eventually replace PDS.

If your budget is not limited, the ultimate user friendly piping system is PDMS (Plant Design Management System). It's not cheap, but is very very good both graphically and from a design and review point (Clients and managers love it as they can easily understand what they are looking at). Preset catalogues for piping components (can be customised). Clasher tool to minimise on site problems. Automatic Isometric generator. 2D intelligent drawing production (soon to be tied in with AutoCAD). MTO reports.
As well as piping, you can do all other disciplines (structural, civil, HVAC, electrical). The latest version is also geared towards Project Management (automatic memos, dicipline tie-ins, P&ID cross checks etc) - but as a Piping Designer I am not familiar with this part as it really is brand new and have not come across it yet in the work place.
This seriously is THE best on the market, but again I know it's not exactly cheap - but as they say, you get what you pay for - or - pay peanuts, get monkeys....
Visit (formaly PDS/rebis is not even close...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back