Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Piracy parts 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

bcl001

Industrial
Sep 15, 2004
NL
Hello everybody, we are a metalworking company using NX4 for running our machines [mill & lathe].
We receive a lot of data,also UG-parts, from customers all over Europe.
What are the possibilities to check the parts from other parties for piracy, to protect us against these illegal parts? We use UG native, no Teamcenter installed.
What happens if I use such parts? I asked our supplier in the Benelux, he advised us to sent the part to them for a check, this is not an option, delays and so on...
Thanks in advance, Bert.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I don't believe that you will see that message straightaway. It may well "hibernate" for a while before showing itself. I don't believe UGS offers anything for checking files with.

Paul Phillips
Specialty Engineered Automation

Upon opening a part file you will see 'Part has internal inconsistencies, please contact GTAC'.

It will not let you open the part in a legal setup.

A previous job had this problem. They were using an illegal NX (prior to me getting hired on) copy to do mold design. Once they finally got around to getting legal versions, they ran into this problem a few times while revising old work. Basically had to start all over.

Justin Ackley
Designer
jackley@gmail.com

You may be able to parasolid the parts out and bring them back in. The company I work for also had this problem receiving parts from Korea. upon contacting them the y told us to" just change the date back". Not sure how that works,,,but parasolid did the job.

Hi,
yes there may be workarounds, but as John R. Baker previously said in another thread, if YOU are running a LEGAL license, and thus are covered by GTAC, why not contact GTAC? It has been said that they can evaluate the situation and, in many cases, "repair" your files...
I don't know how UG files are formatted, but it's very likely that somewhere in the header there is the identifier of the system used to build the part, so for GTAC it might be possible to retrieve whether this part has been built by a "legal system" or an unregistered one... Just a guess, though...

Regards

to protect us against these illegal parts?

I'm no lawyer, but I think you will be ok as long as you maintain a legal license. To the best of my knowledge the law does not put the burden on you to make sure that everyone you do business with has a legal license. I don't think you can be prosecuted just because someone sent you a file that was modeled on an illegal license. If you open a file and get "the error message", I would suggest you first take it up with the other company. It may be a known issue or malicious/ignorant user at the other end. If they can't or won't take care of it, then take it up with GTAC.

You will still need to take it up with GTAC so they can tell you what steps you need to do to make your file 'legal' again.

"Wildfires are dangerous, hard to control, and economically catastrophic."

Ben Loosli
Sr IS Technologist
L-3 Communications

Actually there is nothing that a customer can do to 'remove' this flag from a pirated part file, but GTAC can. However, that being said, we do not intend to continue to 'repair' files ad infinitum for any one customer.

If you've gotten some of these files through no fault of your own (other than perhaps your choice in 'partners') we will gladly help you make them 'whole' again. However, we will also expect a quid pro quo. That is a request to both stop whatever practices resulted in you receiving these files, as well as help in identifiying where and from whom you got them in the first place.

I hope you all understand why these are important and non-negotiable situations for software developers like UGS and we ask you for your cooperation and assistance when it's requested.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
NX Product Line
UGS Corp
Cypress, CA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back