Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Piston structure design 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

FahlinRacing

Automotive
Aug 12, 2011
US
After having combustion on the mind for a short time again lead me into thinking about pistons and heat transfer and everything else involved. After reading and thinking, the heat distribution of a forged unit will be better than that of a cast unit. I am more interested in the Diesel piston design but am still open to gasser piston design as well. Recently I have been reading on the trunk type, as well as the articulated types both heavy truck and light duty diesel engines. Currently the hot light duty unit seems to be the Mahle Monotherm which is up against Federal Mogul's MonoSteel. As far as what goes into a piston and what we can to to influence condition is the chamber as far as temperature and power production and emissions too.

Right now I am thinking, through the selection of the right material parts and materials they are made of, we can control our heat absorption and dissipation in the crown and other surfaces to get the last little bit of power ouf of the chamber without melting things. Pretty much thinking about just moving slightly closer to a adiabatic process. I know that won't be achieved through the ICE fully but I am thinking we can come closer and be more efficient. However I am not sure how the longevity is going to be effected directly even when/if we have a finer tuned level of control on the temperature of our piston crown.

I would like pick anyone's brain on what they thought of my thoughts.

Thanks,
Jim

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

From the 1942 factory Chevrolet Shop Manual found here -
"Chevrolet pistons are cast iron surface treated, with a slipper skirt. "
However it also says "The truck piston may be identified by a small forged boss on the lower center of each piston pin boss."
Forged iron? I don't think so.

The 1949-1953 Chevy Shop Manual says the first use of aluminum pistons (instead of cast iron) was the 1953 Powerglide models.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back