Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

PK Boiler condensate backup

BronYrAur

Mechanical
Nov 2, 2005
US
The attached photo shows the drain at the bottom of a PK boiler with a P-trap, and the drain at the "bottom" of the flue with a loop trap. There is a collection device in the flue to allow condensate to be collected at the point where the drain is located.

The boiler has decolorization on the heat exhanger, and it is suspected that the high flue trap is to blame. The two drains Tee together and go into a neutralization basin.

It doesn't seem possible to me that one drain could affect the other, but evidence would suggest otherwise. The PK manual shows both drains Teeing together before the trap, instead of each one having a separate trap.

Any thoughts?

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=ba5bd225-a2aa-4205-ad71-c66f4ef018d0&file=Picture1.jpg
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The manual shows the flue drain coming off the BOTTOM of the flue, not what looks like 8 inches up the side!

That system will only work if the line into the basin remains only part full. If this line backs up and becomes liquid filled all hell breaks loose in terms of air locks and glugging etc. For such a small bore system why is this not two lines into the basin? Or if there's a problem then just modify it.

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

@LittleInch

There was not room to put tee and drain on the bottom of the flue. The side collection works because there is a "collection funnel" in the duct.

But you think having the 2 lines Teed together is the cause of the problem? In other words, separate taps into the neutralization basin should remedy the situation?

I don't know what this mysterious collection funnel looks like but I suspect it doesn't work s well as you might think.

But yes, send each separate and maybe increase the diameter.

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

Back