Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Plan checker!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yousef ZAA

Structural
Mar 26, 2017
US
Hello, I’m a Structural Engineer I work at a design precast specialty engineering firm and I have been offered a job as plan checker?! What is the future for plan checkers!?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I interviewed for a plan review job a long time ago and didn't get it. Luckiest thing that ever happened to me. Punch in the clock at 8:00, look at work that you don't have time to understand, punch out at 5:00. Checking rise and run of stairs.
Someone has to do it, but I'd probably want to cut myself.

Plan checker? I suppose I was one of those once. As a senior (old) engineer in a design office, much of my work was oversight of work done by the less experienced. But I never thought of myself as just a 'plan checker', and have never heard of that as a job description.

SWC- I work in precast design and I have been offered to be Review Structural Engineer at another firm owned by firmer building official, simply the review engineer checks the structural, mechanical, Architectural aspects of projects to be code compliant, my concern is it will be less practicing real engineering problems! But better salary!

Agree with others, make sure you know what the job will be. If it's something that interests you, go for it. I think most of us on here are hesitant to take a role, for the reasons described above.

Talk to the new firm about whether there is a clear, defined career path (with training, mentoring) there to move up into a more responsible role. You likely DO NOT want to get stuck in the "plan checker" role forever. Do you have a career path at your current employer?

SWComposites--Yes, I have a career path, but at my current job, I am working for the US, overseas at my current job (Not physically in the US)

The review engineering firm is offering H1B visa that could get me physically in the US, rather than working overseas.

If that's the ultimate goal, then it might be worth it, assuming you find another employer with a better position.

As for plan checking, it's not clear what sort of longevity there might be as a career. Many other "checking" positions have vaporized in the past few decades, along with many others that are not directly part of core engineering, such as drafters, and CAD operators after that.

TTFN (ta ta for now)
I can do absolutely anything. I'm an expert! faq731-376 forum1529 Entire Forum list

It sounds to me like this is a government job where you will be checking plans submitted to the AHJ for permitting. If that is the case I would say it is probably very secure job - growth would really only be on years experience without much increase in responsibility I would think.

He said firm... there are several jurisdictions that sub out plan review to consulting firms. In that case, it may not be so secure. Best to check the details there.

Dears, for those who asked about the scope of what is called review engineer or plan checker:

performing and managing plan reviews for projects. Projects ranging from small residential projects to high-rise hotels and office buildings, institutional occupancies such as hospitals and jails, shopping centers, distribution centers and hazardous occupancies.Review include checking buildings to Code compliant as follows:
Structural Engineering Plan Review
Mechanical Code
Plumbing Code
Electrical Code
Housing Code
Fire Code
Energy Conservation Code

There are a lot of certifications needed to be a plan reviewer. Better make sure you understand the qualifications/licensing side of things as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back