Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Planetary Gearboxes

Status
Not open for further replies.

jdkuhndog

Mechanical
May 1, 2003
US
I am not too familiar with the inner workings of planetary gearboxes - I have always dealt with parallel shaft gearboxes.

Are most planetary gearboxes able to be 'back-driven'?

We want to reduce the braking torque on a drum and we are planning to mount a planetary gearbox to the drum with the planetary gearbox output shaft to reduce the torque to the input shaft and then put a brake on this shaft.

Any problems with this?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

In general, planetary drives backdrive as well as any other geared drive. They are commonally used both for reduction and increasing speeds.

Ed

Hi,
I have to design winch that can pull a load of 40 N at 8m/s.I'm going to use a planetary gear system system powered by an Ac motor. Whats the best way of finding the Torque needed? No. of teeth on sun gear? Spped of gears etc.
it's my first major project and i haven't really done much on gears before.
Any suggestions?

camal,

the torque required (with a 1:1 SF) would simply be the load you are planning to pull (40 N) multiplied by the radius of your winch (make sure to account for the biggest radius possible when the wire rope is piled up).

By knowing the required torque and speed reduction required from your AC motor (to get to 8m/s)...you should be able to look in any catalog and choose a satisfactory gearbox.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back