Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PLASTIC GEAR DESIGN 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

june

Automotive
May 17, 2002
US
Hello,

I am looking for good references for plastic gear design. Can anyone recomend any books, articles, etc. that deal specifically with plastic gear design? Also, any references for plastic gear manufacutring, testing or inspection would also be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

June

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Although crossd posting is sometimes frowned upon, maybe in this case, if you cross post into the Plastics Engineering Forum, you might get more answers, and from a different perspective.

If you do, please cross reference the post to this thread, so that readers and responders can benifit from what has already been done.

Regards
pat

Please see FAQ731-376 for tips on how to make the best use of Eng-Tips Fora.

I am just so surprised to find so many people actively discussing the technical uniqueness of plastics gears. My company has been focused on this one area for 15 years. For many years I have argued against the rack based design on which the PGT tooth form is founded. This is the prinicple product of UTS as well. Alex Kapelevich of AKGears and myself believe that the direct gear design approach is far superior in potential for molded plastic products.

I try to publish all of our technical information on our website at are adding to it and updating right now. Inspection of plastic gears is just as unfounded in this industry. Plastic gears shrink into conformance. The variables of their manufacture are different than metal gears, and these variables must be defined and toleranced, for instance the involute base circle, which is not even identified in metal gearing as a variable. Watch out when buying off-the-shelf molded gears. The involute shrinkage of many of those gears are atrocious, off by more than .030 inches/inch.

There is so much more to this subject and I would love to discuss and pursue this subject in infinitely greater detail with interested parties. It was just delightful to find this thread and read these communications.
Rod Kleiss

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back