Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Plastic selection query

Status
Not open for further replies.

ldmech

Mechanical
Dec 26, 2012
NZ
Hi guys,

I'm a mechanical engineer with not a lot of experience in the plastics selection arena! Looking for some guidance and help in working through selecting a plastic. Specifically I am looking for a thermoplastic with the following properties:

- Good UV stabilization
- good mold flow
- Resistant to contaminants such as salt water, oils and other common chemicals
- Good flammability rating
- Very high impact strength and tensile strength at break

The material will be used in marine applications and will be sitting on a boat for its lifetime. I have checked out some of the materials database searches and plastics like Ultradur, Xantar, Zytel, Grivory etc from what I understand do pretty well.

Initially, nylon based polymers looked good. But we have had a few issues with getting the exact characteristics we want out of the plastic. Any suggestions or pointers in any other directions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

These guys are extremely helpful when developing projects that involve plastics:

They've been around for over 40 years and know everyone in the business. I've asked them to help get pointed in the right direction for information, costs, etc. related to plastic product information. Very helpful.

Have a look at PBT - better chemical and UV than Nylons (although Grivory is a PPA/PA blend which will be good too).
Many manufacturers of PBT and all it's various grades.

H

www.tynevalleyplastics.co.uk

It's ok to soar like an eagle, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

Cheers for the responses guys.

Have tentatively looked at PBT (specifically the Crastin range) and its looks excellent. Possibly falls down on the UV stability when adding flammability requirements into the mix. Its just a matter of trawling through numerous datasheets and contacting suppliers at this stage.

Another question I have regarding surface finishes of plastic parts. I am looking at Makroblend as a possible solution however I am looking for a matte finish as opposed to gloss. Are there any good reference sites for looking at the different surface finishing techniques? Any common polymer specific processes for finishing of the parts to achieve desired characteristics?

Thanks,
ld

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back