Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PLastic to Fuel

Status
Not open for further replies.

jlarocque

Mechanical
Jun 10, 2003
CA
I am looking at different plastic to fuel processes. Any ideas, suggestions or warnings to share?

JL

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Different from ?
One that I heard about that you can feed with whatever that contains carbon is the Veba Combi Cracker, i.e. including plastics.
RH

You mean a "fuel" to "fuel" process?

Plastic is already a fuel. Mind you, with PVC in the waste stream it can potentially be a very nasty fuel...

What you are talking about is wasting some of the energy to turn it (back) into a LIQUID fuel.

The most efficient way depends entirely on what polymer you're feeding.

Without running the economics it seems more logical to recycle the plastics made from downstream petrochemicals and buy fuel with the recycle revenue.

The challenges lies in finding buyers for plastics; until you are faced with it you are very surprised how little demand there is for some products. I have to find more alternatives to recycling and landfilling is not an option.

JL

Iam just trying to get answers from these so called gazification process but never seem to be sucessful at getting any serious answers....I am realizing recycling is more a want than a will do for many recyclers. Maybe my solution lies in getting a cleaner output and plastic separation by type to facilitate its marketing?!

JL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back