Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Plastics Bonding

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kmech88

Mechanical
May 23, 2007
US
I'm working on a process to quickly bond unreinforced PVC tubing with a natural LDPE fitting. Currently a clamp is used to hold the tube/nozzle assembly together. I'm looking at using some kind of food grade adhesive and maybe a press to bind the pieces together removing the clamp altogether. Looking at different possible adhesives, I'm trying to find a food grade adhesive which quickly bonds and sets (ideally within 2-5 minutes) but don't even know if a product like this exists. Any recommendations on possible adhesives?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Out of curiosity, have you considered ultrasonic welding the parts together? If the design is capable of it, you would be able to bypass adhesive use altogether.

Other recommendations would be to contact various adhesive manufacturers and check their offerings of food grade materials.

Regards,

Thanks PSE - -
That is something that I hadn't considered and we already have another process which uses ultrasonic welding on the assembly line so the equipment and experience is already present.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back