Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Plate Connection with Bolts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Supun93

Structural
Nov 28, 2019
LK
I tried Modelling a connection via ideastatica but i encounted a problem when modelling the plates. Can anyone assit me?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Screenshot_2024-01-14_124107_i6ds0i.png

This is the model i did. And this is what we need to model
IMG_8596_cjqfrh.jpg

image_oai3ng.png

Are the notes on the black and green CAD image your boss's instructions , your instructor's assignment, or your definition of the project?

I'm guessing the design in the picture has proven problematic in service.
If so, I'm not surprised.
Details of what broke, and how it broke should be included in the definition of the problem.
Or do things "only" bend, so alignment and positioning are lost while in service.

Often even MAJOR material upgrades cannot compensate for basic deficient design geometry.

I'll hazard threaded rods were chosen because adjustability of the position of the screw conveyor position and plumb-ness are needed.

The (four) poor old threaded rods are cantilevered an estimated several inches and subjected to continuously variable bending loads.
Stress concentration at a screw thread entering a nut is not really "calculate-able" but intense
The stiffness of the threaded rod attachment is dependent on nuts tightened (?) and bearing on relatively thin washers bearing on plates with clearance holes of unknown size.

The attachment of the plates ( to the cover of the vessel or "structure" or ?) is described as "welded".
How could there be a problem there ? What broke on the actual mount, and how did it break ? ( good clear pictures of fracture surfaces etc)
In the model it Looks like the nuts are left off the smooth rods on the "other" side of the plates?
Are the rods simply "bonded" to the plates in your model? How close would you say that is to reality.

Notice the stoutness of the OEM mounting details on the housing of the ash screw conveyor gearbox.

If your model is to scale, the bolts are too far away and will cause large design moments.

-----*****-----
So strange to see the singularity approaching while the entire planet is rapidly turning into a hellscape. -John Coates

-Dik

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back