Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Plating / Coating for SmCo 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

MAC3382

Industrial
May 21, 2006
US
Hello, All:

I would appreciate any input for the following-

I have SmCo magnets operating at 350c and under vacuum. Our concern is out-gassing and I do not know of a plating or coating which will prevent the out-gassing and stay intact for the few years of service required. We would typically use Nickel or Paralyne, but the temperature seems too high. (Micro-fissures in the Ni and operating temperature of Paralyne N does not make it.)

I would appreciate any and all comments.

Thank you,

Mac

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hello, MagMike:

Some people here are fearful because we have not quantified the degree of out-gassing. So we are somewhat executing a preventative action as insurance. The vacuum we intend to pull is 1x10^-4 Torr.

Thank you for the reply.

Mac

I've had applications involving SmCo magnets operating at that vacuum level without any issues.

SmCo material is sintered, nearly 99% dense. If the vacuum level is 1x10^-7 or less there might be an issue.

One other point: It is very difficult to metallic coat SmCo, although it can be done.

The best way to fight the out gassing is to pre-outgas the magnets. Moisture is the biggest concern. Bake the magnets in a vacuum oven and then backfill with Ar.
We had customers that wanted this done. We then packaged the warm magnets in ziplock bags.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
Plymouth Tube

We regularly operate SmCo magnets in vacuums in the low e-6 torr with no issues at all. The only thing we have to watch for is ensuring the magnets do not heat up too much (due to typical operating conditions that we face) as there is no easy way to cool them in a vacuum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back