Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Plaxis EA and EI from tutorial

Status
Not open for further replies.

JSD1986

Structural
May 2, 2012
AU
Hi there

I am teaching myself plaxis 8 and have started going through the tutorials.

The first tutorial is 'settlement of a circular footing on sand'. The description is that it is a 2.0mtr dia footing.
When it comes to entering the material properties of the footing the tutorial guide says to use:
normal stiffness EA = 5x10^6 kN/m and:
flexural regidity EI = 8500.00 kN.m2/m

My question is how have they arrived at these A and I?

Heres how I would come to it.

A = (Pi).r^2 = (pi).1^2 = 3.14m2 (per single pile) >>>>> 3.14/2 = 1.57m2/m (mtr rate)
I = ((pi).r^4)/4 = ((pi).1^4)/4 = 0.785 m4 (per single pile) >>>>> 0.393m4/m (mtr rate)

Now working backwards to find E from EA >>> E = (5x10^6)/1.57 = ~3.2x10^6 kN/m2
and working backwards to find E from EI >>> E = 8500/0.393 = ~0.022x10^6 kN/m2

Now we know its a solid circular footing because they use it to find the pressure. The only thing I can think is that it has something to do with the model being axisymmetrical - when plaxis gives you the pressure for a described displacement the pressure it gives is for one radian.

I'm exicted about learning Plaxis and its very frustrating being stumped by something quite trivial.

Any help would be appreciated.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

@JSD1986 :
The example that you asked about is at Flexible Footing Section. Notice from the first paragraph,
"The calculation is now modified so that the footing is modelled as a flexible plate" (no longer circular).
For flexible plate, PLAXIS calculate A (area) from the plate as diameter x thickness.
And moment of inertia (I) will be I = 1/12 * diameter * thickness^3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back