Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Plaxis - Incremental Loading

Status
Not open for further replies.

EireChch

Geotechnical
Jul 25, 2012
IE
Hi,

I am hoping to pick the brain of some plaxis users. I am very new to Plaxis 2D, so my questions are very basic so bear with me.

I have a load test on a pad footing and i would like to simulate the load test in plaxis. The 2.2sq pad was loaded up to 138kPa, over a period of 90hours.

Is there a way to set the loading to incremental loading and specify a time interval i.e. 20kPa loaded for 2hrs then increase to 40kPa for four hours etc?

Cheers

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hello Eire,

Yes and its pretty simple procedure. You can specify a dynamic multiplier to your loading in the model explorer. You need to expand your load menu and add a dynamic multiplier. You should probabbly use as calculation type dynamic for your phases and ensure that the time interval is 90 hours. Refer tutorial 14 in the 2d tutorial manual or section 5.5 in the reference manual of PLAXIS for details.

Danzzel,

Thanks for the reply, I managed to get it working after a few pain staking hours. My load v settlement graph is very similar to the field test so i am confident.

I didnt actually use the dynamic multiplier in the end. I used staged construction, and calculation type set as consolidation. A total of 17 steps were required load increasing in roughly 20kn per step. I set the time interval accordingly, ranging from 0.125 - 0.0833 days.

Thanks again though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back