Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PLC beginner... needs little help

Status
Not open for further replies.

zer0net

Chemical
Mar 20, 2008
CA
Hello everyone,
I'm really interested in playing with PLCs, i'm thinking of picking up a TECO GENIE II SG2, its relatively inexpensive. As for the power supply, instead of buying the TECO power supply, can I just use my laptop power adapter or a simple plugin 110VAC to 24VDC converter (like router power supply, only that is 12V) and use it with a DC Female Converter from ebay (the one in the picture)?

In the installation instructions it also recommends that you use a surge absorber, can you recommend any please.

I'm also open to other micro-controllers or other low cost PLC/PLR/PLD/PIC

Thank you

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I think the "cheapo PLC" discussion has been done before somewhere on this forum. I'd suggest you not only need to learn basic ladder logic, but also it would be good to start learning proper industrial control wiring methods. You could get set up for a couple or three hundred dollars and have hours of fun. Think of the expense as "educational costs."

TygerDawg
Blue Technik LLC
Virtuoso Robotics Engineering

That Teco unit is not technically a "PLC", it is what's referred to as a "smart relay". The programming is a little different from what you might see in PLCs if you "graduate" to the big leagues at some later date, so just be aware that what it teaches you is going to be relevant in a general way. But if you have zero experience in solid state control logic devices, it is a good place to start.

24VDC is 24VDC, where it comes from is irrelevant. But you have to be careful about the CAPACITY of the power supply. You may find that the cheap little "wall wart" style plug-in PS units have inadequate power capability to do anything real with them. Bit twiddling inside of a router is not tough duty, so those little wall warts don't need to be very capable.

"Dear future generations: Please accept our apologies. We were rolling drunk on petroleum."
— Kilgore Trout (via Kurt Vonnegut)

For the best use of Eng-Tips, please click here -> faq731-376

Postblaze777: I think you have the DL05 confused with the Click series.

The DL05 software costs about $300. The Click is a fine little PLC that has a nice programming tool that will simulate its operation nicely. I happen to be programming one just now and took a break to check Eng-Tips just now.

Anyway the Click development tool is free and downloadable.

Keith Cress
kcress -

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back