Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PLC/HMI connection to the Internet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 27, 2003
US
I am working on an application to connect GE Cimplicity HMI with a web server option to the Internet for remote control of an industrial process. I am interested in advice that anyone has on the following:

1. Options for connecting to the Internet. I have looked at dial-up (need a static IP I think) and DSL/ISDN/Broadband (a bit expensive).

2. I believe that all I need is a connection (most likely will use DSL), a router/firewall, and the web server. Is that it??

3. Options for connecting small PLC's or HMI's to the Internet. This isn't an application that warrants an expensive high bandwidth connection yet I need 24x7x365 connectivity. Most of the connection plans offer web hosting, email, etc that I do not need. Do any ISP's provide cheaper plans with just connection to the Internet?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If you have a PC on this system, you can connect remotely over the internet with a remote viewer.

Seeing that you'd like to keep this as inexpensive as possible, I'd "VNC" into a PC on your private network then run diagonstics from there.

You can download VNC viewer and server for free from (you will need broadband and static IP, but no web server. This is a remote desktop service)

Regards

Thanks Electromechanical30...

I do have a PC in the system. It runs an HMI package with a built in web server. I have been using PC Anywhere to dial in to the PC for remote access and could use VNC if I had a broadband connection.

What I am hoping to find is a service provider that can provide an inexpensive ($30-40/month) always on connection with a static IP so I can publish pages from the HMI's web server.

The client just can not afford a broadband ($70-90/month) connection and does not really need fast performance. We are just trying to post the status of a of couple analog points for remote viewing via the Internet.

Any thoughts?

Depending on you location, cable high speed internet is rather inexpensive. I am in the Milwaukee, WI metro area and our cable broadband is $35/month.

Does your client have an internal LAN that you could tap into?

They have an internal LAN but it is not connected to the outside world in any way. The site is just a small pump station in a rural area. DSL is the only broadband option in the area. With a static IP address the local phone company wants $90 per month. Seams like a lot for the amount of information we are getting from the station.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back