Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PLC Interfacing using Visual Basic and RSLinx 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

garyjh

Computer
Sep 26, 2002
US
Hello Guys

I am new to PLCs so please bare with me on this.

I am working on (or at least trying to) an application that uses a PLC. I will be communicating to this PLC via the ethernet and RSLinx.

I am assuming that RSLinx will be setup with the address or IP address of the PLC, is this correct?

Inside of RSLinx will be a data table that I can query somehow from within Visual Basic to get the status of some event or possible start an event by setting a bit or byte
am I on the right track so far?

How would I go about addressing the PLC and the data tables?
Does any one out there have an example of how I might do this?

Thank You

Gary

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

HELLO, EVERYBODY,
WOULD YOU HELP[ ME TO SOLVE THIS PROBLEM. lAST TIME I USING hizac PLC FROM hitachi. But i want to print out the ladder from cpu, with RS 232. Maybe somebody tell me how to connect from cpu to printer (dot matrix).

thanx.

Hasan.

Hi Guys,
Im new to this forum so bare with me. I have been reading all the info ye have supplied in relation to VB accessing PLC data through RS Linx(OPC)/gateway setup. Im in the process of trying to set this up on a test system, with little VB experiance im finding it difficult to start off on the right foot!
Keith, you have presented what i think is the answer to my problem, could i see a sample of what you have spoken about, im sure it will help me a lot as I am new to the VB field but have extensive PLC experiance.
Thanx in advance

Keith,
I'd also like a peek at your VB code.
As others are, I'm looking at building an application to monitor a couple of tags and record them to MS Access or a flat file. A second application will read a user selectable span of data, display it, and optionally export it.

Thanks in advance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back