Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PLC Recommendation for sequencer

Status
Not open for further replies.

huwwuh

Computer
Sep 26, 2008
GB
I need a PLC that I can program to be a programmable sequencer (essentially for flashing lights in pretty patterns).
I have some experience of low end Mitsubishi Alpha 2 PLCs and realise that it would be next to impossible to program these in a flexible way.
I also want to be able to run a touchscreen and display reasonable graphics on it.
I've been looking at the Windows CE device CW3500 ( - I realise it's not strictly a PLC! - but it has no IO other than RS232.

Could anyone suggest a PLC or Windows CE based device that may be suitable. A low cost, rugged Windows CE device with onboard IO (relays and analogue IO) would be good??

Any help much appreciated.

Thanks,

huwwuh

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

How programmable do you need it to be? Will the user simply be selecting sequences from a list or actually be creating new sequences? There are plenty of specific controllers available for flashing lights in certain patterns a PLC is kind of a different application.

I want to allow the user to create new sequences so the PLC will need to have a fairly flexible programming system.

I am aware of the existing lighting controllers (I'm in the lighting biz ;-)) but I need to do a fair few other things with the solution that preclude their use unfortunately.

Thanks.

Hey dpc!

Come on! You remember the 'Christmas Light House'? If you google "Christmas House", or anything even approaching that description, it will be one of the first few hits. It will even 'tube' right on the search page.

This house was done with an off-the-shelf lighting controller. That even came with software to ease the setup.

He did it right too as the music heard was transmitted on low power radio so any observer would get the music if they tuned to the correct radio channel.

Keith Cress
kcress -

Right - I do remember seeing this last year. Must have been a lot of extensions cords running around the house that Christmas!

I would look at a Horner PLC model XLE or XLT they have a small display or even touch screen with digital inputs and relay outputs for pretty reasonable price.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back