Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PLC Simulation Software

Status
Not open for further replies.

vnomis

Industrial
Mar 11, 2009
GB
We're in the process of assessing PLC simulation packages to enable us to fully bench test the PLC software for a large system utilising multiple Siemens S7 PLC's. We're familiar with the PICS package but there must be others out there. Does anyone have experience of using PLC simulation and are there other packages available?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

For basic simulation you can use the PLC itself by writing some code that reads the outputs and writes to the imputs. Call this at the start of the scan.
I have done this many times, it works well. The code can be very simple.

Thanks FrancisL, I guess the problem with using code in the PLC to test the PLC code(!) is that there's a possibility that the test code is interfering with the operation of the pukka code. If that makes sense!

Fair point, but provided you put the simulation code in a completely seperate block and call it at the start of scan it is pretty easy to be sure that it does not interfere.

I don't think the client would accept this - the simulation would have to reside on a seperate machine, preferably using a graphical interface.

OK so long as they are paying!
Do they want the simulation to run via real IO?
If not then there is an argument that there is no real advantage, as the simulation will still depend on software in the target system because that will have to have it's inputs at least switched off and alternative values from the simulator substituted.

So what if the simulator is in the target system, it can be still kept functionally completely independant.

No, it will communicate using the PLC comms network which I assume is how PICS works. The PLC and networks will be set up and bench tested without any physical I/O connected. The client won't accept PLC test code that resides on the target machine.

I know this is late but if you're still looking or would like to note it for future reference, here is some great software I've used. It's freeware for the basic version but I think if you pay for the full one, you can even download to the PLC straight from this software and use it to debug.

Even though it's a German web address, the text is in English.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back