Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

(Please Help) How to apply tangential traction on a surface

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lucy1995

Civil/Environmental
Jul 9, 2003
US
I want to apply tangential traction on a surface. But what I can do is to apply pressure. I cann't find a way to apply tangential traction.

How to do that? Thanks a lot!

p.s.
Another question:
Is there any method to model two volumes which are perfectly bonded. These volumes are two different kind of materials. I tried to use "Glue", but after that I found that the two volumes have the same material properties(I can not define different material properties)

I appreciate your help!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I suggest that you use surface element, which can be used to apply pressure in any direction.
And for different materials in different regions, you should use property assignment in the menus.

Zgqfem is right. Use Surface elements over the area you are going to apply tangential traction. I've done this quite a long time before. Lemme recall the exact way and i will let you know about this. I guess i found it somewhere on Ansys tips and tricks.

STRAIN2

Thanks a lot!

Yes, I tried and can solve it now. But I still have one problem.

When I use surface element "SURF154", I can apply pressure and tangential traction at z direction in cylindrical coordinate. When I apply tangential traction at theta direction and solve the problem, Ansys gave me a warning message that it can not transfer the surface traction to volume element. What is the problem?

I use Global cylindrical and nodal cylindrical coordinates.

Thanks!

Lucy1995

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back