Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Please help! I'm getting the follo

Status
Not open for further replies.

daveo

Mechanical
Dec 18, 2000
US
Please help!
I'm getting the following warning message when I launch most applications (MathCAD, IE5, AutoCAD, etc)

"The procedure entry point ??_U@YAPAXI@Z
could not be located in the DLL MSVCRT.DLL"

I need to reinstall MSVCRT.DLL but as its in use by Windows NT it wont let me!

CAP GEMINI ERNEST & YOUNG COULD NOT SOLVE THIS PROBLEM!!!
(their solution is to reformat the hard drive!)

I would be most impressed and appreciative if this can be solved??

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Try the following:

Get to a COMMAND PROMPT aka DOS.

Delete MSVCRT.DLL

Copy MSVCRT.DLL from your disk, cd etc. to the location where it was located on your harddrive

ReBoot

Good Luck

Try to start up the computer from boot disk (win98 or NT) and copy your DLL file to the windows directory from the Dos prompt. Good luck!

Yakov

Start your computer in MS-DOS mode instead of in NT mode. Then copy your file and restart your computer.

Hope it will work!

Luc

This msvcrt.dll is used by different applications, I found 5 different versions on my computer.

What you could do is:

1) reinstall the applictions which are giving the message, Autocad, MCad, Iexplorer, maybe one of the installations will fix the problem.

2) NT will not work with a dos command unless you set up a dos boot system, and unfortunately dos can't acces NTFS partitions.

If you have enough drive space, make an extra drive and install a second copy of NT on that. You will have now a dual boot machine. Boot in the 2nd NT mode and now you are able to make modifications in the system directory of 1st NT mode. Make back-up of the files you are replacing, so you allways can revert to a prior situation.

Hope this help Steven van Els
SAvanEls@cq-link.sr

Dear all,
thanks for your info, but unfortunately our IT sub contractors took away the machine and reformatted the disk. However, like SVANELS pointed out the machine count not be started in DOS mode due to the absence of the DOS mode partition, but Til's solution may have worked. Our IT people should have considered SVANELS dual boot solution (thanks for that!)

Kind regards all,
Daveo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back