Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Please Help Me Find the Flow Rate

Status
Not open for further replies.

npc214

Mechanical
Jul 30, 2014
US
Hey everyone,

I have a fluid system of water coming from a pressure source. Then there is a converging nozzle, which I have calculated the resistance coefficient using Crane's Manual and it has an outlet to the atmosphere.
I have tried to simplify the system. The full system is a pressure source, converging nozzle which has outlet into original diameter at converging nozzle inlet followed by hose to outlet to atmosphere. (this is like a fire hose system - slightly different for my actual application)
The pressure of the pressure source is my independent variable, I am doing a sweep in excel. So if it helps for simplicity, you can assume the pressure is 100 psi.

How do I calculate the flow rate (in GPM)? Do I need to take away the outlet of the system?

Currently I am thinking using:

hL = [k(v)^2]/(2g)
ΔP = (ρ*hL)/144
then what for q??

Or I am thinking q = K*A*(2*144*g*ΔP/ρ)
but then what is ΔP?? is it the pressure drop across the converging nozzle or is it the pressure drop from the inlet to outlet at atmospheric?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hey, sorry I cant find how to edit a post.

Wanted to include a picture of the system:

j0e975.png

Corrected logic:

Here is the attachment of the excel I'm working on. As you can see I have a table of variable inputs to calculate K values for varying nozzle designs. Then I have a sweep of pressures vs. the nozzle designs. What I am trying to complete is the Q (gpm) calculations for the given P and K values (based on nozzle design). The idea is that if we are given a system, we can use this table to find an appropriate nozzle design that will satisfy the job. It's not in the picture or the post, but this is a water jet eductor educting dry powder fire suppression agent.

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=7faf95ac-8417-464a-9e1f-d68ecdf21aee&file=Eductor_Orifice_Sizing.xlsx
It looks to me as though you are on the right track, but you need to take into account the K value of the sudden expansion from the outlet of your nozzle into the hose. This K value is likely to be larger than that for the converging part of the nozzle. Once you have the total K value, you can use the Darcy-Weisbach formula to solve for the flowrate. Remember to add one velocity head ( i.e. K=1) for the eventual pipe outlet - usually this is negligible with liquids, but in a high velocity situation like this it might be important.

Katmar Software - AioFlo Pipe Hydraulics

"An undefined problem has an infinite number of solutions"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back